Metals are amongst the most widely recycled materials, and virtually all metals can be recycled into high quality new metal. Highly efficient reprocessing technologies are available, varying for different metals, but generally producing metals of equivalent quality. In the UK household collection schemes make an important contribution to the overall total. Considerably more scrap is produced than is required for domestic markets. In 2005, 13 million tonnes of metal was recycled in the UK. Around 40% of this was used in the UK, and the remaining 60% exported worldwide.

Amazon Books
Image of Metal (Re-using and Recycling)
Author: Ruth Thomson
Publisher: Franklin Watts (2006)
Binding: Hardcover, 32 pages